Sunday, February 11, 2007

Going Outside My Comfort Zone


Since I share Woody Allen's sentiment, "I am two with nature," I wasn't looking forward to camping out in the desert. I certainly didn't plan to do anything like hiking, so when I heard a suggestion that we climb some dunes, I tried to excuse myself to go and read. But at the insistence of our guide, Malika, I rushed to catch up to the group at the last minute--huffing and puffing and seriously wondering whether anyone there could perform CPR.

When we reached the top of the dune, I was amazed to see a line of camels below, waiting for us to ride them. What a scene! This looked like it might be fun.

That said, I wasn't going to get on just any camel. I didn't want the one who was growling and baring his teeth, or the one that was foaming at the mouth-- I looked for the most placid of the lot, finally choosing a gentle-looking one called Sharif. I talked very softly to Sharif during our ride, and was happy to see that he seemed to be listening, since his head turned and his ears moved towards me when I spoke. He seemed fine with the ride. I really started to enjoy myself then.

The sun was beginning to set, the air was cool, and the desert was beautiful and quiet. In the end, I felt like I could have ridden on for hours. How lucky for me that I had to leave my comfort zone! I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

- Darla Moore, Olin Library

No comments: